Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hilary Swank is totes having a devil baby

Due to the fact that I didn't want to climb a few stairs to take a nap in my room, I watched t.v. with my parents. Not only did I watch "Greatest American Dog," but I also watched this incredibly amateurish horror film starring Hilary Swank as a miracle disproving professor. The Reaping centers around a town, "cleverly" named "Haven," that starts experiencing the biblical plague. Like all "horror" movies before this, a little girl is the center of this "evil." I'm boring myself just typing this. All you need to know if you do decide to watch this movie is that the director has no concept of sound. It's impossible to hear the dialogue without blasting your eardrums thanks to the spooky and ominous music. No way, I would've never guessed a frog was about to jump on Hilary Swank! Thanks creepy, ominous music! I'm almost thankful that the background music masks the dialogue. I only wish that George Michael would've provided the soundtrack. I needed something to wake me up so I could go, go up to my room.

While we were watching this cinema verite, my mom said she was confused as to what was happening. Honestly, I was, too. I don't remember many things my mom has said over the years - I tend to block them out. But in 1996, my parents rented "Mission Impossible." I was fortunate enough, not 13 yet, to watch the movie with them. Tom Cruise's spy ways left me a little confused, and when I asked my mom what was going on in the movie, she said, "You're not old enough to understand. That's why you're confused." I haven't seen the movie since then, so I'm not sure whether I'd be confused. So when my mom said "The Reaping" was confusing, I told her the "Mission Impossible" story. My mom's response: "Of all the things you remember, you remember this." I forget a lot of things, especially recently, but for some reason, be it Tom Cruise or Ving Rhames, I will never forget that line. 

I should make my mom watch some David Lynch films, then when she says she's confused, I should tell her that she's not old enough to understand. Gotta be 60+ to understand Lynch, duh.

No comments: