Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Antediluvean World

So I get a lot of flack for believing in a lot of different things. Crazy things, silly things. Things no scientist would admit to believing. Maybe they aren't all beliefs, but moreso interests. Interests that guide my imagination and hope for life. I could never detail every single one of these in a single post, but let me discuss one that has been on my mind a lot lately.

I begin with my belief (interest) in Atlantis, or maybe it's more the belief in lost pre-historic knowledge than it is lost pre-historic land. I believe that maybe there were inhabitants of this earth that were far superior to the common image of cavemen, fur underoos, and Ringo Starr that most people conjure up when reviewing the past. I think that maybe these inhabitants maintained and possessed untold knowledge. Perhaps so much of the (Classical, Egyptian, Mayan, etc.) knowledge that has been irrefutably lost and regained throughout our thousands of years of existence still fails to compare to the cumulated knowledge of our pre-historic ancestors. I believe, and have believed for some time, that the stories and myths describing the gifts man-kind has received from our lordly masters are more than just allegory describing the dangers of unabashed power unbridled. Why do so many cultures tell of the gift of fire or the gift of knowledge? Are these stories just muddled versions of pre-historic truths? Or are they extreme versions of the exaggerated stories our forebears tell us? I hope to study more about the origin of man this summer, in a partly fictional way, but with some possible hints of truth.

Atlantis, Mu, Lumeria. These are all mythical places that represent lost civilizations, and the lost wisdom from these civilizations is part of what makes me strive for better in my everyday life.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Lost wisdom from Atlantic #924: Michael J. Fox will lead you to Atlantis.

Also, don't wash your whites with your colors in hot water.